Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I can't open task manager on my computer?

I can't open task manager on my computer? I am pretty sure its some kind of virus or trojan. I am using Windows XP. I tried everything CTRL ALT DEL, Task Bar, through windows folder but it doesnt open. I can open it in Safe Mode but not in normal. I already tried multiple spyware adware virus removal programs. I can't reformat it because its not my computer. How can I make it work?



I can't open task manager on my computer?kawasaki



This may not be a Trojan or a virus. The task manager on windows XP can be disabled through group policies or the registry.



To check the registry, open regedit.exe from the run menu then select (or expand):



HKEY_CURRENT_USER



Software



Microsoft



Windows



CurrentVersion



Policies



System



Look for a tag called DisableTaskMgr



If it's a 1 your task manager has been disabled and you can edit this value to a 0 to re-enable it, if it is already a 0 then this isn't your problem.



If you can't find System or DisableTaskMgr then this isn't your problem.



**WARNING**



Messing around with your registry can be VERY hazardous to your computer's health. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER VALUE IN YOUR REGISTRY, even if you think you know what it does already.



To check the group policies:



Open gpedit.msc from the run menu:

No comments:

Post a Comment