Friday, August 20, 2010

I downloaded a program and afterwards it no longer had the name, it was now filename setup.exe.?

I am computer literate, but somehow instead of deleting, I installed. Then it was called Echos(archpr). I now have adware and my computer is slower. This was a month ago. I have Yahoo Toolbar and (since 1 week ago) avg internet security. I did a search of everythng created on that day and there was an exe file that started with a v; which I deleted but to no avail. I would prefer to remove manually, but dont know what to look for. I am wary of downloading one program to remove another one.



I downloaded a program and afterwards it no longer had the name, it was now filename setup.exe.?antivirus download



If you download a program and install it, the only way you can remove it is to UNinstall it. What you did was delete the execute file, so now whatever you downloaded cannot be uninstalled. It HAS to have the execute file to do that. In order to get rid of this whatever-it-is, you will have to reinstall it in order to uninstall it. You can delete the folders, but you will not remove the program itself. It HAS to be uninstalled to be removed. Apparently it is causing you a problem, so you want it removed.



There is one possible solution if you have Windows XP. You can do a system restore, that is, restore the settings of the computer system to a date before you installed the program you don't want. That's if System Restore will let you go back over a month ago. If you do that, you will also remove anything else you downloaded and installed since then, including Yahoo Toolbar and AVG Internet Security. This will not damage or do anything to any files you have, it just affects downloaded programs. If this is an option for you, then click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and System Restore. Pick a date a day or so before you downloaded the Echos or whatever it is and let the system restore to that date.



  • need advice on
  • good for oily skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment