Friday, August 20, 2010

I have a Mac, what type of virus software, if any, should I have?

I have recently made the switch to Mac, and I love it! I have had absolutly no trouble with my MacBook so far, but; I feel almost 'naked' without any type of virus or anti-spyware software on my computer.



I know that Macs are not targeted as PCs are, but that also does not mean that they are 100% safe either.



I read somewhere, although I'm not sure it was a creditable source, that the Norton for Mac software could potentially open a Mac up to more viruses since Norton is often a targeted system. Is this true?



Are there alternative anti-virus systems for Macs? Do I need this type of software at all?



What about spyware and adware detecting software? Is that a problem on Macs?



I have a Mac, what type of virus software, if any, should I have?security



You really don't need any. I have none; I have never been bothered by a virus since 1992. It's a fact. There is no adware or spyware that affects Mac OS X.



What you DO need to do is use basic computer security.



- Do not use your administrative super-user account as your everyday user; make a user account for each person who uses it, even if it is only you.



- Do not open Windows file sharing services on the firewall. It will attract thousands of zombie PCs trying to take your computer over. They will all fail, but it will waste your Mac's CPU and your network.

No comments:

Post a Comment